Thursday, January 13, 2011

Button Quandry

So, I've been working on the Wearing History Smooth Sailing Blouse, which has been going quite well..... except that now it's time to do the buttons. Yeah.... I've never put a button in before and I don't have a fancy button foot. And I won't be getting one any time soon, as my sewing machine manufacturer has changed how the feet attach to the machine. :( I've been looking for tutorials online, but I'm just super nervous. I think I'll need to practice a lot.

Anyone have tips/suggestions/a great tutorial???? My mother-in-law has a button foot for her machine, but I really want to learn how to do this myself.

6 comments:

  1. Do you mean the buttons themselves, or buttonholes? Buttonholes I can't help with, my machine just does those. Buttons.. I'm afraid to let the machine attach those so I do them by hand. They seem to end up staying attached for longer that way too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Doing the button holes. Buttons, at least, can always be removed and repositioned. Thanks though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool! Can't wait to see!
    If you don't have a foot I would guess you could probably do it with a very close zigzag put at a wide width- like a satin stitch. You could also do bound buttonholes or do them by hand. Here's info, but most is with a buttonhole foot- but you could probably apply the same method to doing a satin stitch:
    http://www.wikihow.com/Sew-Buttonholes
    Try it out on a scrap of your fabric first to make sure you get them to work right :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Argh! I loathe buttonholes! I don't know why- it seems like it should be such a basic task but they always give me trouble. This link has a video for sewing buttonholes with a zig zag stitch. I hope it helps!!
    http://www.ehow.com/video_4433258_making-hole-using-zigzag-stitch.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have you thought about doing a bound buttonhole or hand stitching them? Bound buttonholes look really nice, but take longer to do, and hand stitching can take some practice, but I have found them to be very sturdy and look nice.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for all of the help! My shirt now has button holes and is reaching completion! I just have to add the buttons and finish the sleeves.

    ReplyDelete