Monday, April 22, 2013

HSF#7&8: Accessory and By the Sea

I've been doing some historical sewing! :D


Between the Stripes and the By the Sea challenges, I knew I had to make something nautical!


I made the Middy blouse for challenge #8 and the belt for #7 though I didn't get around to taking pictures of it till now!


The hat is one I retrimmed to go with my Lady Mary's garden party dress. It's not a perfect match but I didn't really have anything else to wear.


 I took these photos by a river since there wasn't a near by beach handy and we had some flooding so the water level was quite high!


The Challenge: By the Sea
Fabric: Green poly cotton and striped poly cotton (because I couldn't find any cotton in the right shade of green!)
Pattern: Folkwear Middy Blouse + self drafted patch pockets
Year: 19-teens
Notions: Self-covered buttons
How historically accurate is it? Wish I could have found something with less polyester! Nautical ensembles were very popular during this period and I'm really happy with the silhouette I got.
Hours to complete: 4 or so
First worn: April 2013 just for a photoshoot
Total cost: ~$25


I had a lot of fun running around taking pictures!


I just adore the peplum-ish length of the back! It made the whole outfit so fun.


Can't wait till I get to wear this outfit again! My inspiration/research is located here.

12 comments:

  1. With the hat you are wearing suffragette colours

    " Purple as everyone knows is the royal colour. It stands for the royal blood that flows in the veins of every suffragette, the instinct of freedom and dignity...white stands for purity in private and public life...green is the colour of hope and the emblem of spring"

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your outfit, and especially thyt you used a green/white combination instead of the popular blue/white!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is lovely- great job!!! I wish I could sew : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this!! That's one of my favorite mid-Teens fashion plates - I was so looking forward to seeing you finish this. Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How adorable! I love the hat especially! :)

    -Veronica

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the color of this ensemble so much!! I have so much of that color in my S/S wardrobe. Perfect for warmer days.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love it! I also love the pink teens outfit you cited as inspiration, and I love how you've been inspired by it. Also, I have the middy blouse pattern, so it's really nice to see one that's turned out so nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The colours here are so immensely pretty and cheerful. So fresh and awesomely well suited to spring. You are so talented, honey - amazing job on your Edwardian era ensemble, it looks stunning on you.

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  9. You pull off that era SO well and the outfit/sewing are clearly amazing. Well done as always! The stripe on the bottom of the middy collar is a cute surprise.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a lovely outfit! I really like the color; it suits you very well.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is adorable! You are very talented - it looks like you stepped right out of a painting.

    ReplyDelete