Friday, January 2, 2015

HSF 2014 Round Up

It's been a busy year on the Historical Sew Fortnightly costuming front as well. Since I didn't make it to Costume College this year, I focused most of my costuming on things I could wear to the Renaissance Festival. I also did a few vintage projects since the dates were extended to 1945.


The first big project for the year was to remake the bodice of my court gown to fit over a boned kirtle instead of a corset. I am super happy with the fit now! (HSF#1: Make Do and Mend)


I couldn't wait to make this Wearing History pattern when it came out! I made it in a dreamy rayon. (HSF#2: Innovations)


Another vintage rayon project, I made up a shirtwaist dress for the pink challenge. It was just in time for Valentine's Day too! (HSF#3: Pink)


I remade the bodice on this red kirtle although it was remade again later in the year. (HSF#5: Bodice)


I beaded the forepart of my Elizabethan court dress. Originally, I started it for challenge #1 but got side tracked so it was perfect for the UFO challenge. (HSF#8: UFO)


Not all of my projects were big fancy dresses. I made some underpinnings too. See this new shift and boned kirtle. (HSF#9: Black and White and HSF#12: Shape and Support)


I also finally made an apron for my Renaissance wardrobe! (HSF#13: Under $10)


 I also ventured into outerwear this year! I dreamed of making a fitted English gown for a long time and when I scored some wool yardage on the cheap, it was a match made in heaven. (HSF#15: The Great Outdoors)


Since I used my old petticoat to make the boned kirtle for Shape and Support, I needed another one. (HSF#17: Yellow)



And a quick easy project to finish out the year-a 1930s plaid skirt. (HSF#21: Re-do)


And this 1930s dress which you all just saw. (HSF#23: Modern History)

There is also a project that never made it to the blog-a corset for my Borgia dress project that I'll be working on in 2015 (HSF#20: Alternate Universe). Hopefully, it'll both end up on the blog in January so you can see them! So that's a total of 13 challenges out of 24! My goal was at least half so I did good. Next year, the HSF will be monthly instead of twice a month so maybe I'll make all of the challenges! I've already got my supplies for the January challenge and hopefully the sewing room will be ready soon!

3 comments:

  1. Your ren faire dresses beautiful. That little wrap blouse, though, is so cute! I hope you make more because it's super flattering and would probably be comfortable in sunny Florida.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have made so many beautiful things in the last year. I look forward to seeing what you create this year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Each of these garments and outfits is so (truly!) timelessly lovely. I especially love the 1930s dress and can totally see how at home you are in the styles of that decade (and it's a good thing because they suit you fabulously!).

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete