Saturday, April 18, 2015

Historical Sew Monthly Planning

I really want to do all of the Historical Sew Monthly Challenges (even though I missed February's challenge of blue so I'll have to do that one for the re-do challenge) and life has finally calmed down enough that I can start planning out what I want to do for future challenges. I've already finished my April challenge so let's start with May.

May-Practicality

This challenge is all about making an everyday wear around the house type piece. I did a lot of work on my lower class Elizabethan wardrobe last year so I won't be doing anything big this time, just working on accessories. I really want to do some headwear for this challenge. I only have one proper coif/caul and it's made from an old sheet. I have some leftover linen from my Italian chemise that would be perfect for this.

Practical outfit with the sheet coif and sheet shift.

June- Out of your comfort zone

This is the time to try a period or technique that's brand new! I've decided to do an embroidery project for this one. I have done a bit of embroidery before but not really for a historical project. I have been practicing a bit of blackwork. If I get ambitious, I might try a coif but I haven't found a pattern I like yet. An apron or partlet is more likely.

July- Accessorize

After seeing Morgan Donner's Italian Renaissance dress with a veil, I've decided that I must have a veil! I'd love to do one in silk like her's but I have to do some research and see if the budget will stretch. Either way, this will be a simple, though fiddley project.

August- Heirlooms and Heritage

This project is to be inspired by something an ancestor wore or might have worn. I don't know a lot about my family history all though there has been some research done on my hubby's side of the family. This one will take some thought.


Photo of my great-grandma (the one not facing the camera) and her aunts. 

September-Color Challenge Brown

I have some yummy brown wool just waiting for an Elizabethan jacket. I may not feel like looking at wool in September in Florida but that's the plan so far.

October-Sewing Secrets

Make something with secret in it-a pocket, false front, mend, secret message or allegiance. I'm a member of an Elizabethan costuming group on Facebook whose members are called EC Bees so I want to make something bee related to show that I'm part of the group. I'm not sure what I want to do for this project but there will be bees on it!

November- Silver Screen

Oh, yes! A movie project! If my Borgia dress isn't done before this, that's what will be here. It's going in slow spurts so it might be November before it is done but if not, I'll probably do something vintage.

December- Re-Do

I need to re-do at least the blue challenge. Thankfully, blue is a good color on me! I'm thinking a kirtle or petticoat would be a good idea.

I'm sure some of these will change before then (especially those at the end of the year) but I've got some great projects to focus on!

2 comments:

  1. That sounds like an exciting project ! I will be looking foward to it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a line up! I'm looking forward to your embroidery!

    xoxo
    -Janey

    ReplyDelete