Friday, May 29, 2015

Some New Basics

Some occasions just don't call for a skirt. Normally a holiday event like a Memorial Day BBQ would call for an appropriately themed dress but this year is different. Since moving to Florida, we've had to reinvent all of our holiday traditions. Not only is the weather markedly different but we also no longer have both sets of parents close enough for visits every holiday. So we're on our own now!


This year we celebrated the unofficial start of summer with a BBQ with some new friends. It's already been feeling like summer for quite some time here in Florida but hopefully the rest of you got some lovely weather this past weekend.


The events scheduled for the day were swimming, grilling, eating and board games (though I have to admit that I got worn out and went home before the games came out) so casual was key. I've really been leaning towards more and more casual pieces in my wardrobe.


 And my outfit choice may have also been influence by the fact that I finally got these vintage pants to fit and also just finished this black shirt.


Speaking of outfits, let's take a closer look at what I'm wearing. The capris are vintage 50s or early 60s and they were my last vintage purchase before leaving Ohio. They were a steal at $10 and I knew I'd get loads of wear out of them in sunny Florida.


But they had two issues. 1) I didn't have anything to match them hence the new black blouse which we'll get to later. 2) The waist was a bit too big which caused some excess bunching of fabric in the crotch area when they sagged down from my actual waist. So I took them in at the waist a bit. Fitting of high waisted bottoms is a bit tricky. You need a lower crotch and a bit looser fit (especially if you are using a nonstretch fabric) so you can actually sit in the garment but it can feel a bit odd compared to modern pants.


I've been in need of a basic black blouse for a long time. So I ordered up some lovely black linen cotton blend. It's quite yummy and light. I used Butterick 7328 c. 1955 which I've made a couple of times before.


It's got this great yoke and gathers detail that I just love! I also love that the sleeveless version has the little parts that cover the top of the shoulder. That area of skin is really delicate and I burn pretty easily so extra coverage is always appreciated.


I finished the blouse with some small metal buttons from my stash. They give it a bit more personality than plain black buttons would have. When you are making an outfit out of basics, these little details keep it from being too boring.


Accessories also help make basics more interesting and add variety to your wardrobe. These two pieces are new great basics and I've also been shopping for some accessories which I hope to show you soon.


What did you do for Memorial Day Weekend?

8 comments:

  1. Ok, you just look tooo cute! I love those capris and the fit you very well. I swear you are slowing turning me into a vintage sewer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These ARE great basics! It's hard to match reds sometimes, but I love it with patterned pieces. (I wear a LOT of red, white, and blue, I've figured out.) And this black shirt is fantastic! Perfect for layering, and it will go with so many things! Brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your outfit looks so cute and comfy Stephanie! Your blouse reminds me of a party dress that I am working on currently... I love little shoulder yokes like that. :)

    Blessings,
    Brigid
    the Middle Sister and Singer

    ReplyDelete
  4. $10.00 for those great capris was the vintage steal of the year! What a fun, versatile piece to add to your warm weather wardrobe.

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a lovely set. I was reading & hoping that these red capris were from a pattern as I dearly need some of those in my wardrobe for summer time. They're darling & such a great find.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this outfit and yes, the capris were definitely a steal! I really want to sew loads more pants this year, including some great capris or bermuda shorts for next summer. I remember an episode of Mad Men when Betty wore these adorable floral bermuda shorts and a top very similar to yours and it just looks so comfy an effortless- perfect for the humid summers!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think it's so great how you actually get out and sew basics Stephanie! I'm always saying that I need too, but then I never do... D'oh! Your blouse is so lovely though, and it looks super with those awesome pants! Nice find!

    xox,
    bonita of Lavender & Twill

    ReplyDelete